Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Action Figure Times interviews O_Negative...

O_Negative sent me this interview he did with Action Figure Times and a sneek peak image of his DESTROYER in progress last night. Check it -

O_Negative and I got together this past weekend when he dropped off my blank to me. We had a good time discussing the possibilities of what I could do with the DESTROYER. Of course I laughed as my proficiency at airbrushing needs some improvement. He told me not to worry and to just do what came to mind. I asked him if we could do a quick Q & A about the DESTROYER resin and he said sure!

Toygodd: Are you happy with the way the DESTROYER came out?

Oh: Hell yeah! Eric Nocella Diaz did an unbelievable job of bringing the DESTROYER sculpt to life. I wouldn’t have a figure if not for Argonaut Resins!!!

Toygodd: How did you manage to get as many painters to say yes to customize the DESTROYER?

Oh: Well I asked very nicely.

Toygodd: Anything else?

Oh: (laughs) Yes. I made a commitment to donate my profits to Operation Smile. I saw a program on it a while back and it really touched me. Art is supposed to be about something other then just money. I thought that if my being able to sell a piece of art could make it possible for some child to smile who otherwise wouldn’t be able to, that was a good thing.

Toygodd: What do you think of the first 6 tints?

Oh: Those came out so freaking cool. I would buy them if they weren’t mine. I was really surprised that more didn’t sell as quickly as the first two. I think they’ll sell eventually. There will only be those 6 tints and a maximum of 30 total DESTROYERS made. If you think about it, that’s a very low number compared to most limited edition products made today.

Toygodd: I see the packaging is quite the eye catcher. Who did those?

Oh: Eric did the packaging. I came up with the idea for the bags. I also changed out the boxes for tubes for the customs. I’ll shoot one over to you as soon as they arrive. I think people will really like it.

Toygodd: Have you anything else on the horizon?

Oh: Well I am hoping to do a companion piece to the DESTROYER. Hopefully that will come to pass. I also am busy doing some work for some other shows. I may not be the best painter but I am going to try and get there with a lot of practice.

Toygodd: Last question for you. What do you collect?

Oh: Well right now my top favorites are Jamungo’s Squadts and the 3A robots and 12 inch figures. Don’t let anyone tell you that small companies can’t act like big ones. Both of these companies make stellar product, have decent prices (even if it is taking up most of my budget ), deliver on time and have excellent customer service. Kudos to Ferg and Ashley Wood! I also purchase other artist’s resins. It’s an emerging genre’ and my hat is off to AFT for having it’s own section to cover it. I have been a long time reader and I really want to thank you guys for taking my project on and showing it as much as you have. It means a lot to me and I hope to return the favor some day.

Toygodd: No problem! AFTimes has always been behind the small guy. Hopefully we’ll see a lot more of your work in the future. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

Oh: No problem. Now pass the scotch and light my Cuban!